- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 large ears)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- High-heat oil, for cooking
Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add buttermilk, eggs and butter, stirring just enough to combine. Fold in corn, basil, Parmesan and shallot.
Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat and coat with a thin layer of oil. Drop batter by the 1/4 cup into the skillet, cooking until cakes are golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
Basil is the featured flavor of this dish, so nothing less than lots of fresh basil will do. We fried these in just a little olive oil and they came out fine. Peanut oil would work every bit as well too IMO.