The things you find on the intertubes. I’m going to try this as a light seitan, visually more chicken-y than my dark, tamari-infused version.
Seitan for the Rest of Us
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten (approx. 10 oz)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 1 Tbsp. Better than Boullion, chicken flavor (or three faux-chicken boullion cubes)
- 1 Tbsp. white miso paste
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely grated
- 1 tsp. lemon zest, finely grated
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients together in one bowl, and wet ingredients (including the garlic and lemon zest) in another bowl. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture a bit at a time until it’s all combined. Knead very gently, just enough to combine the ingredients. Form the dough into a log or ball and let it rest for five minutes. Wrap the dough tightly in aluminum foil, twisting each end like a candy wrapper. Place the wrapped dough on a baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes.