Originally uploaded by wesh
This recipe can be found on p. 375 of Bobbie Hinman’s cookbook “The Meatless Gourmet:”
Sweet Spiced Lentils & Tomatoes
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1/2 c. chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. grated or very finely minced fresh ginger root
- 1 tsp. each ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1 lb. can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 c. cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 c. lentils, uncooked
- 1 tb. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, and ginger root. Sprinkle with cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, mixing well. When mixture boils, reduce heat to medium-low cover, and simmer 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
I push the onion/ginger/celery/garlic mix to one side and add the tomatoes to a hot pan, allowing the sugars in them to caramelize a bit, then add the stock, lentils &c. I find it removes the ‘raw tomato’ flavor and replaces it with a sweeter, mellower flavor which really enhances the sweetness of the dish. Enjoy!